As the recent lockdown extension demonstrates, the situation with COVID-19 is ever moving and so we are continually risk assessing and trying to fit our work and responses to what the immediate needs and requirements are for our community. This has sadly meant we have had to close the centre to the public and all staff are working from home, but rest assured, we are still supplying a service and support to our participants.
In assessing the risk we are having daily updates on the national situation; following government guidelines on things like the lockdown and social isolation; holding weekly virtual meetings with partners; weekly team meetings and weekly management meetings to ensure we have all the correct up to date information and access to support for the participants that are most in need. On a more personal level our coaches, key workers and mentors are all in regular contact with those we are providing extra support to and are ensuring they have access to all of the support they need.
We are aware that our participants now have huge gaps in their day when they were in education, working or engaging in activities with Carney’s so we are trying our best to replace these. In an attempt to do so we have:
- One to one support for most in need via phone and social media.
- Food deliveries to those most in need at least twice a week
- Instagram home work-outs:
- We are posting daily home workouts on our instagram page https://instagram.com/carneyscommunity?igshid=12gh6x7tcqpfsOpens in a new window that can be copied at home. These are for anyone of any ability and include warm up exercises, basic fitness, boxing fitness and challenges like “how many press ups can you do in 1 minute”.
- We are also doing 30 minute, interactive live workouts on our Carney’s Coaches Instagram live https://instagram.com/carneyscoaches?igshid=ocw22ghzuijaOpens in a new window every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sundays at 6pm. Again this is targeted at people of all abilities and is free to take part in.
- A virtual group for our youth participants where we host youth work activities and games, such as quiz’s riddles, challenges, tournaments etc
- Virtual, small group, youth club and fitness sessions with targeted participants on zoom
- In partnership with the Battersea Alliance we have helped set up a website with resources and information for Battersea Youth’s Website which went live on 26th March https://trimenco.wixsite.com/youthbatterseaOpens in a new window
- In partnership with the Battersea Alliance we are supporting the Battersea Power Station project “Power to Connect” which aims to provide access to IT and data for those that do not currently have access, more info can be found hereOpens in a new window
- Continued to attend any virtual meetings relating to any of the participants we are working withWe will strive to do more and are always on the lookout for new and innovative ways to do our essential work.
This situation has however, left us in a tough financial situation. Over a third of our income was self generated through donations for our Carney’s Coaches personal training project, so we have lost that as we have had to close the gym. This has meant we have signed up to furlough our casual staff, to ensure they get an income, however, we will not be furloughing the permanent staff as they are still performing essential services to those most in need. If you are in a position to donate to support us, please do so here https://carneyscommunity.wpsc.site/events/we-need-your-help/Opens in a new window.
Please also ensure you and your families follow the government guidelines https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/Opens in a new window.Opens in a new window
In the meantime please be aware that other people in our community will be suffering more than usual now, so if you are in a position to be able to offer support, without putting yourself at risk, we would encourage that you please do so.
I will send further updates as and when is necessary and can be contacted on 02072280506 or at email@example.com. If you would like to be updated via our newsletter please sign up here https://carneyscommunity.wpsc.site/Opens in a new window. We will also be updating situations on our Instagram story, as well as access to online work outs on https://www.instagram.com/carneyscommunity/Opens in a new window.Opens in a new window
CEO Carney’s Community